Friday, September 28

Fourth stop: New Glarus

Those of you who know me well, know that I if I could move to Switzerland, I would do it in a heartbeat (and bring my family and friends with me, of course). I don't have any Swiss in my blood (that we know of), neither does Rob. That doesn't matter, we love the Swiss-America town of New Glarus, Wisconsin. Swiss from the Canton of Glarus left Switzerland and founded New Glarus (Little Switzerland) in 1845. Maybe if they would have moved a bit more west and saw the Rockies, they would have settled there. Those mountains are a bit more Alp-like than the rolling hills of WI. Anyway, with "good" food (if you like artery-clogging cheeses, meats, chocolates and breads) this town has a great feel. If anyone knows much about the Swiss, they are very particular, almost obsessive-compulsive about cleanliness and order. The towns-folk of New Glarus are no different.


****
A cowbell in the Glarner Stube restaurant (the local establishment that we visited 3 times in a 26 hr period). This restaurant is also home to the largest urinal in the midwest. (Check it out here....pretty exciting!)




Swiss United Church





Church pews inside the church.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I stayed at a very sweet B&B in New Glarus. Can't remember the name but it was very nice.